by Liggia (age
Lake and the Cathedral are two scenes by
which the beautiful city of Santa Ana (El
Salvador) is distinguished.
Santa Ana was
given its name by the bishop Brother Bernardino
Villalpando. Before, its name was
Cihuatehuacán: "Ciudad de Sacerdotisas"
("City of Priestesses").
Bustamante y Guerra, Captain of the Guatemala
Kingdom, got the title of "Villa" (small
town) for Santa Ana la Grande ( Santa Ana the
Great ) on July 1812.
In 1824, the
Asamblea Nacional Constituyente de las Provincias
de Centro America, gave the title of "City"
to the Villa de Santa Ana. On May 22 of the
same year, by an Executive Order, the city was
declared the capital of the province of Sonsonate.
Twenty years later the province of Santa Ana was
created, giving the capital and the province the
On May 1894,
Santa Ana was the scenery where was performed La
gesta de los 44. It was about 44
Salvadorians who were really angry about the
tyranny of the brothers Ezeta, so they took over
the headquarters of Santa Ana and put up a fight
in which the Ezeta brothers lost. For that
heroism, Santa Ana is called " Ciudad
Heroica" ("Heroic City").
Facts in brief
about Santa Ana
Capital: Santa Ana
665 meters above sea level
- Area: 2,023
Patronales July 1-26 in honor to our Señora
as a departmento (El Salvador is divided
into 14 departmentos) February 8, 1885
Anas flag and shield
Ana has three districts:
Ana: is divided into cities: Santa
Ana (departmento capital), Coatepeque and
Texistepeque, and villa El Congo.
is divided in one city of the same name, one
villa that is Candelaria de la Frontera and two
towns: El Porvenir and San Sebastian Salitrillo.
Is divided a city of the same name, and four
towns: Masahuat, Santa Rosa Guachipilin, San
Antonio Pajonal and Santiago de la Frontera.
The most famous
cathedral in El Salvador was begun in 1905 in a
neo-gothic style. The imposing white facade
is currently undergoing restoration; inside are
three naves decorated with images dating back to
the 16th century. A high ceiling and worn
wooden floor leads to a while altar. The
pink and gray columns look like marble, but they
are actually painted concrete.
Santa Ana is a
city that has open streets and a lavish National
theater. Sharp green hills surround the
city, with the cones of Cerro Verde and Izalco
and Santa Ana volcano further to the south.
It is still a coffee town, surrounded by many
plantations where workers till the rich volcanic
soil. Santa Ana has retained more of its
colonial heritage than most cities this size, and
it is therefore more pleasant than the country's
choking capital. Wide, clean streets pass
between old buildings in surprising good
condition, most are under two stories high and
painted in pastel colors. The low buildings
leave lots of blue sky that gives the city a
spacious feel. Local artisans are famous
for their leather goods, they are also famous for
their clay figures, candies made of papaya, fig,
tamarind, milk, nance (a small yellow fruit), and
many other fruits.
courtesy of www.abest.com/.
Flags courtesy of www.crwflags.com/.
Geografia Visualizada by Miguel Angel Chinchilla,
Editorial Piedra Santa, SEGUNDA EDICION:1996.